- Preheat oven to 200C. Bring a large saucepan of the water to the boil then remove from the heat.
- To prepare the barramundi, remove the skin from barramundi and scrape away any fat. Return the fillets to the fridge until ready to cook.
- For the Crispy Skin, lay the skin onto a lined baking tray, sprinkle with salt and drizzle lightly with grapeseed oil. Cover with a sheet of baking paper, a second baking tray and bake in oven until crisp, about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- For the Butter Poached Potatoes, scrub the potatoes; peel and julienne the skin. Sprinkle with salt and spread onto a lined baking tray. Bake in the oven until crispy, about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Slice the peeled potatoes into 1cm rounds and set aside for poaching.
- For the Butter Poached Potatoes, place the butter, mandarin peel, chilli, mint, peppercorns and approximately 100ml water into a large frypan and place over low heat. When butter is melted, add the potatoes in one layer. Cover with baking paper and simmer gently until potatoes are soft but retain their shape.
- Remove the potatoes from the pan and set aside to cool. Reserve the cooking liquid.
- Place the olive oil and lamb fat into a large non stick frypan over medium heat. Once hot, add the cooled potato slices, in batches and cook until golden on both sides, adding more oil as required. Remove from the pan, season with salt and set aside.
- For the Mandarin Beurre Blanc, place the mandarin juice and vinegar in a small saucepan. Bring to boil and simmer until reduced by half. Add the reserved poaching liquid and whisk together. Add chilled butter one piece at the time and whisk to emulsify. Remove from the heat and season with salt. Set aside.
- For the Steamed Barramundi, return the saucepan of water to the boil.
- Line 2 large bamboo steamer bases with baking paper and poke all over with a sharp knife to create holes. Place the barramundi fillets into the bases, season with salt and top with chopped mint and mandarin peel. Stack the bases and cover with the lid. Place the steamer over simmering water and steam until the barramundi is opaque and just cooked through, about 6 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- To serve, arrange the Butter Poached Potatoes onto each plate. Top with portion of Steamed Barramundi and Crispy Potato Skins. Add the Crispy Fish Skin, some fresh mandarin segments and native mint. Serve with the Mandarin Beurre Blanc on the side.
Crispy Fish Skin and Steamed Barramundi
Butter Poached Potato
Mandarin Beurre Blanc