- For the Filo Pastry, place flour, 65ml oil, vinegar and pinch salt into the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Mix on low speed to combine. Add approximately 130ml cold water and mix until a dough forms and pulls away from the side of the bowl, adding more water or flour as required until a smooth ball of forms.
- Remove the dough from the mixer and knead lightly with hands then form into 5 evenly sized balls. Place into a medium bowl then pour the remaining 100ml oil over the top. Cover the bowl with cling film and set aside to rest the dough for 20 minutes.
- For the Orange Curd, place the ingredients into a small saucepan and whisk to combine. Bring to boil while whisking continuously and cook until curd is thick and glossy. Remove from the heat and pass through a fine sieve into a shallow tray. Place into the fridge to set. Once set, transfer to a piping bag fitted with a 1cm round nozzle and keep in fridge until required.
- For the Verjuice, place the grapes and stalks into a small saucepan and crush. Add the remaining ingredients with 100ml water and place over low heat. Simmer gently, pressing the grapes occasionally with a fork, for 20-25 minutes. Remove from the heat and strain through a fine sieve. Set aside.
- For the Orange Syrup, place ingredients into a small saucepan over medium heat. Simmer until reduced to a thin syrup. Strain through a fine sieve into a small jug.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan or deep fryer to 170C.
- To assemble the lady fingers, dust the bench with cornflour. Remove a portion of dough from the oil and pat dry with paper towel. Pass through a pasta machine starting at the thickest setting through to the thinnest setting and lay onto the floured bench.
- Cut the dough into 15cm x 10cm lengths. Working with 1 portion of pastry at a time, cut each portion lengthways into lengths measuring 15cm x 3cm and 15cm x 7 cm portions. Place the wider portion onto the bench so it runs away from you vertically. Lay the narrower piece across the wider piece, about 2-3 cm from the bottom edge, to form an inverted “t”.
- Pipe a 7cm length of Orange Curd in the centre of the “t”. Bring the short sides of the “t” around the filling to enclose. Take the end of the longer length of dough and fold over the filling and continue to roll away from you and continue to roll to form a cylinder. Brush the end with a little egg white and press to seal the edge. Use a pastry brush to remove excess cornflour then set aside in the fridge, with the seam side down, on a sheet of baking paper.
- Repeat with the remaining dough and filling to make 36 – 40 lady fingers.
- Deep fry the lady fingers, in batches, in the hot oil until golden and crispy, about 2 minutes. Remove from the oil and place onto paper towel. Transfer to a serving plate. Drizzle with Orange Syrup and garnish with rose petals and pistachios.
- rose petals and roasted pistachios